Monday, January 30, 2012

Gatrell Family Gathering

My mom is the oldest of 8 children in her family. My mom's side of the family is...big! But that is something unique and special, I think. I remembered growing up, living out of state, and coming to Utah to visit my cousins. That was the COOLEST thing ever! There were lots of cousins. Some cousins my age, older ones, and even some younger. As a teenager, I was a pen-pal with one of them (LOVE YA MEAG's). I learned to love the relationship I had with my cousins. Its just cool to have so many. (contrast-my dad's side of the family-I have 2 cousins. 2! He only has a sister, so TWO cousins.)

Here is the latest stat as counted by cousin Clorinda:

Grandma and Grandpa have 45 grandchildren, and 70 great-grandchildren and so far, only 23 of the cousins have had children. 30 cousins are married. There are a total of 26 grandsons and 19 granddaughters. There are 37 great-granddaughters and 33 great-grandsons.



I like to think I am a little wiser as I have grown up. I have now amazingly cool relationships with my cousins still, some cousins have kids, and I know them, and I have cool relationships with my aunt & uncles.

Through-out it all I have two amazing grandparents. Amazing is such a weak word to describe them. Many people know Wallace and Ruth Gatrell of Farmington, Utah. But I am proud to call them my grandparents.


With a large extended family, its a LOT of work to get together. We've gotten together for my grandparents wedding anniversaries, 50 and 55? correct? There have been MANY weddings, and one funeral that brought family together.


Two years ago, talking with my aunts, it came up that Grandma would really like to see everyone (in state) around Christmas time. So I put together an awesome Christmas party. It was a great party, LOTS of work but FUN. Decided to throw a big party EVERY-OTHER year. GREAT idea. Big stress every-other year. Well guess what! PARTY TIME!

This time, Grandma turns 90, and we did it after Christmas. Some of my Aunts and Uncles from out of state came in just for this event. So the Gatrell Family Gathering of 2011 was a GO! Date. Time. Place. Food assignments. Slide show of old photos from Grandma's.

Bam! PARTY>>>

92 people made it to the Gatrell Family Gathering!

Potato Bar


The COOLEST kids' play area. Lots of toys, games, coloring. Almost an un-organized/organized/contained area for the kids to play while adults could talk. The Wii was in the other corner of the gym. PERFECT!





4 Generations of family were together that evening.


It was special! I know my grandparents are old. They've both had recent health problems, and I don't want the next time this many people are together is for a funeral for one of them.

My grandparents were VERY appreciative for the work and planning put into this party. They enjoyed themselves and being with so many loved ones. My kids enjoyed seeing family, being around many cousins, second cousins...or whatever they are. I want my grandparents to have happy memories in the last few years of their lives. I want my kids to have these memories. I want them to have relationships with their first or second cousins. I want them to say "Remember that one time we got together with our cousins".

It was worth the stress! (there was a building scheduling conflict-grr- and 3 hours before the party was to start, i sent a massive text to everyone telling them the location changed. Someone didn't do their church job correctly. I got moved to another church so the young men could play dodge ball but thankful I had a friend who had an eye out for me and let me know. I still owe her some cookies.......)

One cousin made it out to Utah from Colorado who was just in a car crash in November. He was lucky the accident didn't take his life.

He broke his nose and cut it open most of the way up, broke the upper radius of his left arm, fractured the right side of his pelvis, ruptured a lung, and suffered various cuts and bruises. Fortunately, he was wearing his seat belt. He did not suffer any brain injuries or paralysis.

It was exciting to see him.

The teenage cousins hung out, cause they are just cool like that! :) But they did what I did with my cousins as a teenager, just hung out, talked, and it was awesome for me to see that happen with the next generation.
We later found out my Grandpa Gatrells' sister in law passed away that evening. She was experiencing health problems, and peacefully passed. It put a new light on the meaning for this gathering, and appreciation.



It was a great night!

Better get ready for the next one in 2013!


2 comments:

alli said...

I heard it went really well--wish we could have been there. Maybe next time?! Thanks for the great photos and update!

Shraon!! said...

It was a pretty great party! And the other ones were for the 50th and 60th wedding anniversaries (coinciding with my 8th and 18th birthdays, so everyone was around for my baptism and graduation parties)