Thursday, January 12, 2012

150 Million Years to cover

I got FREE tickets to the opening day of the Natural History Museum of Utah in November. I was curious to check it out because I went to the old one when Ashley was in preschool. I had a full load of kids (my 2 plus 3 others) but I didn't let that stop me from going! I enlisted my dad to join in on the adventure with me! It was WORTH all the effort to go! LOVED, LOVED IT. Its really neat---if you have visitors coming to Utah, this is worth your time and money to take them! (how can i get my school aged kids there for a field trip? I better do some research)

LOVED LOVED it! Here is the website. http://www.nhmu.utah.edu/

Beautiful building. GREAT for kids. Really educational!Here are some of the hands on exhibits they had for the kids.

So many exhibits to touch and teach the kids about the sky, Native Americans in Utah, life, land, first peoples, gem and minerals, the Great Salt Lake, and past worlds. With short attention spans, we did whatever the kids wanted. We could spend HOURS there!






archaeological dig site




There were some skeletal reconstructions on display under glass, under the floor. The kids were REAL nervous about walking on this display. It was funny!





You could go in and out of the museum at certain points to continuing your learning, but we just stayed inside.
Charlie inside a dinosaur footprint.


Our Backyard Exhibit







The kids and ME. THEY are NOT all mine! Papa Jack


My picture of the outside of the building. It was just such a pretty building. Something this nice is perfect to be near the University of Utah! Come on! GO Utes.

There is a trail around/near the museum, so next time we will have to check out the stuff outside of it. Even the parking lot had some educational info to get you ready for the awesome experience you will have!

Lunch in the 'burban then head home!

I am looking ahead in the year to see if I can go for free again! BUT we will go there-even if I have to pay....

LOVED this place. GO TO THE MUSEUM!


1 comment:

Debbie Burns said...

Very cool! The hands-on exhibits are the best... even for adults! The little archaeologist in me is DYING to try the excavation area! Hehe