Tuesday, July 3, 2012

More of Ragnar

After Jay finished his first run we headed up to Snowbasin Ski Resort. This is where we were going to meet Van 2 after their run around the Ogden Valley. We were ready to rest & get some food. I was tired & not in the mood to take any pictures. I think I carried my camera around between the parking lot & bathrooms, and finally took a picture when I found my cousin Jessica & her friend Melissa. They were on the Ragnar team last year. It was fun to see them & a few other people at this major exchange.
 Here is Jimmy ready to start his second run-downhill for 8 miles.

 Becky handing off to Jimmy.
 We could not stop & check on Jimmy-he had an unsupported run. I got this one pix of him and then waited for him at the bottom of the hill. We drive part of this run when we go camping at Pineview. I am sure he will look at that road a lot differently now!
 Here is our second volunteer-Carl! Thanks Carl! He worked at a water station on Jimmy's run & we were lucky enough to pass by when he started his 3-4 hour shift! Carl had fun! Volunteering is good!
 Charlotte is waiting for Jimmy. Its night time running hours! SAFETY VESTS!


Jimmy finished, and we all ran a second time in Van 1. Charlotte got to run with the sunset, and I started a fun night run. I was thrilled with my 5 mile run pace, gradual uphill but much cooler weather thru the quiet town of Morgan. Wearing safety vests does not do well in pictures. SO----NO pictures. Jay had a tough run, 8 miles, gradual uphill with major blisters on his feet. We checked on him a few times during his run, and he had to be mentally tough to complete it. I was very thrilled at this point-Ragnar had made some major changes at some exchanges, and the exchange at East Canyon was amazing! It was organized and worked SO better than last year. We didn't lose a person, we made it to the exchange before Jay, we found our teammates. It was great! Good job Ragnar! Jay needed to check his blisters, so he went to the medic tent, then we finally made it to the Van and searched for SLEEP!! It was past 1am Saturday morning.
Sleep-LESSON LEARNED HERE! I sat in the back, and Jay was shot-gun. We ended up taking an unplanned exit, and found too many cars at a high school, and we refused to try & sleep there, so we were going to head to another place-Oakey or South Summit High School. We chose to follow driving instructions (which was the LONG LONG way to Oakley......) But we avoided traffic but spent WAY too much time driving, not enough time sleeping, and TOO many passengers in the car were awake (to help keep the driver awake). GrRrR. LeSsOn LeArNed! GO straight to Oakley or South Summit High School next year! 
We slept outside in Oakley, and we were exhausted. It was dark & cold, but we wanted sleep. Rolled out our sleeping bags in a group and slept.....I only got a few hours of sleep. Woke to the pleasant sound of a car alarm going off in the parking lot. Thanks Idiot! Well, its 6am and I can't go back to sleep. Jimmy slept in the back seat of the suburban, so I worried about him, worried about if Van 2 is close or what......oh, and my toes were cold. Finally got up and moving, potty, food, & got Jimmy ready for his last run.


Here we go-Saturday morning ready to begin our last run in this CRAZY journey!
 Go Jimmy! This was a hard run for him. Blisters too, and just plain tired! But he did it. I was proud of him. At this point, its a mental & physical battle, and we really question what we are even doing! Crazy! We PAY money to do this....this isn't CHEAP! Charlotte goes, then its my turn. I had a beast of a run. I talked to Sarah on the phone, got a little emotional-can I blame fatigue? She said to me-'tell daddy to not give up' Good girl! Then I did my 7 mile UPHILL HARD run up the backside of Jordanelle Reservoir. It was getting hot, and I knew it was going to be hard. I was on the side of the road running. I took my time, walked a little more than I wanted. I did pass some people, but was passed by just as many people. There were some tough hills. You know its a steep climb when the cars get a passing lane for slow traffic making the climb  or when there are yellow 7% grade downhill signs for traffic the other direction. I even ran in my sports bra. I don't normally do this, but I was mentally weak, and thought this kept me cooler. I did NOT look good.....sorry for my teammates and other people that saw me...yes, I will always wear a shirt running! Yikes! But I did it. Happy to be done, but it was hard! I might have to run that leg again & do it better.  


 Two symbols of the Ragnar experience. Road signs for the runners, and rows of porta pottys! It was exciting when we got to the porta pottys after they had been cleaned out-pretty fresh pottys! Nice....What-we were tired if we got excited about that! 
 Lori completed her last run. Hot and tough for her. I gave her gum on her non-supported run, cause she needed something to distract her-so sure. I broke a rule but had my safety orange flag!! 
 Our van is almost done.....yipee!
 Go Jay!
 Ahh-we made it to Park City after Jay finished his run!
+1 more Ragnar post

No comments: