Thursday, March 12, 2009

T Shirt Pants

I learned how to make this at our ward sewing group. It was easy and these are GREAT pants! You will use 90% of the T shirt! If your shirt has a logo-great, but it won't "stay together" but it kinda makes it easier to piece together. I have used an adult XL short sleeved short for me, and adult medium shirts for pants for my kids. My 11 year old neice used an XL shirt too, while the 10 year old used a large for her. So depending on who the pants are for, depends on the shirt size you need. Long or short sleeved shirts will work.

You will need:
1 T shirt
ribbon, shoe lace, or elastic to fit around your waist
sewing machine

Instructions:
Lay out t-shirt

Cut off sleeves. (I cut my on the inside-toward the neck-side of the seam.)So it will look like a t-shirt that the guys play b-ball in…


Cut the neck off. You can use a ruler for a straight line. I just guessed. I cut mine just under the collar of the shirt. I have a logo on the front of my shirt, and a full logo on the back. Use this as a guide if you need.

Turn shirt inside out- you will be sewing this U. I pinned it, then sewed. Pick what ever hem allowance you want, I just guessed. I back stitched like an inch or so at the beginning and end. (*if these pants are for you, it wouldn't hurt to add another stich around the U. This is the crotch, and I've already blown a hole in the bum. so add another straight stitch 1/8 of an inch inside or do a zig zag) reinforcement


After sewing, fold the U in half. There should be two folds. CUT the two folds-yes it seems scary, but do it. My back logo gets cut in half.




You can see in my picture my logo is cut in half.

This match up is hard & I hope I can explain it. You are making your outside leg seam. Your back logo (or front logo) is cut in half. Match the back side of the shirt to a front side of the shirt.


Pin it, and sew from the bottom of the shirt to the top (neck). You want the seam at the bottom to match up, as this is the bottom of your pant leg. Back stitch.
Turn inside out. Check it out.







Waist band (I need to add better pictures for this)
Sleeves
Cut the sleeve open.

Lay out on top of each other.

You need two rectangles and the bigger the better-width and legnth. Sew 1 short side to another short side.


Start at the back of your pants, match up the waist band seam to the back seam of your pants, and pin around the waist. If your waist band piece isn’t big enough to fit around the waist, you need to stretch the waist band or add pleets to the pants. After you get it pinned around the waist, pin the two parts of the waist band together and sew. Then sew your waist band to your pants. (make sure the outside of the shirt is together. you will see this outside of the waist band when you wear the pants)

If you want to switch your sewing machine to do a button hole, you can do that on the front of the waistband. If you don’t want to-its okay. (I haven’t done it yet)

Fold your waist band over and pin again, and sew again. If you didn’t do the button hole, cut two small holes to feed your shoe lace or ribbon in & out of. Use a safety pin to pull the lace or ribbon through. Sew the end of your ribbon if you want so it won’t frey too bad, then try them on!!



Trim any excess you want off- Try them on! enjoy them.
clean up your mess!
hope i did okay at explaining it-if i didn't send me a comment, and I'll add another picture or add more words.
This is not copyright that I know of. Share it if I did a good job.
thanks.

2 comments:

Life is a Blessing said...

thanks i'm gonna try these it didn't happen today but hopefully tomorrow.. hope all is well looking forward to seeing you all in july!!!

Debbie Burns said...

Post of picture of them on. I'd love to see how they fit. Great ideas! (And I am so visual... I may have to make one set with you so I can see how it is done.)