Everyday, I want to be a better person, and finally I was going to do some service in my ward! Enough about me and my schedule, I wanted/needed to serve. A family in the ward (who are University of Utah fans) had their 4th child about 2 months early. The baby has not been able to come home yet. They are a young family, like us, and I kinda know them. They needed help watching the older kids during the day so mom can go see the baby in the hospital. Someone had a sick kid, so at the last minute I got a call to ask if I could watch the kids. Plans changed when the baby developed an infection in the intestines and had to be transported to another hospital. The kids were going to their grandma's house then. So I wasn't going to have the chance to serve (and play).
I decided since I am going to Costco, I'll get the mom flowers and dinner, a frozen lasagna. I've had a kid in the hospital before (not the same type of situation), and I remember how hard it is juggling things around, and trying feeling like you have some control in life.
I took the flowers and dinner over with a note. I did not put our name on it, so it was a suprise. I tried to explain to the kids what we were doing, some service, but a secret service act. Ashley wanted to give something too, so she put a few toys in a bag, and she also gave it to the family. I hope they understand the thought behind the toy.
I didn't want the dinner to melt and go bad, so I asked the neighbor across the street from them to keep an eye out for them to come home.
The family got everything, and so far, they don't have a clue it was us. My children have been really sweet and included their family in our prayers, hoping the baby will get better.
It has been a good thing to add into our life. I am happy we did the service. I don't do enough, so I was happy to do this and include my children.
CHALLENGE-DO SOME SERVICE! you've read this, and you know you can do something, so DO IT! You can do it. Think about someone else-besides yourself and your family. It does good for you and them!
No comments:
Post a Comment